What is an EB-2 Visa?
An EB-2 is an employment-based immigrant green card visa category. This means that an approved applicant will get permanent residency, or green card.
This second preference visa category includes the following qualification sub-categories:
- Foreign nationals holding advanced degrees or an equivalent; and
- Individuals with exceptional abilities in the sciences, arts, or business that will benefit the economy, cultural, or education interests/welfare of the US.
Click the EB-2 visa category below to learn more about:
Do you need to speak with an EB-2 Lawyer ?
If you or a loved one are interested in an EB-2 Visa, our lawyers are here to answer your questions. Give our office a call or fill out a contact form to shcedule a consultation.
Questions About EB-2 Visas?
Although an advanced degree for the purposes of an EB-2 is generally a degree above bachelor’s or a foreign equivalent, individuals with a bachelor’s degree may qualify for an EB-2 provided other conditions are met. A bachelor’s degree with at least five years of subsequent progressive experience in the specialty field can suffice or stand in equivalence to an advanced degree.
An applicant may qualify for an EB-2 NIW provided they first qualify under the EB-2 visa, and their proposed endeavor meets the following criteria:
- The endeavor is of substantial merit and of national importance,
- The foreigner is well-positioned to advance the endeavor, and
- It is of significant benefit to the national interest.
Because the burden to prove the above criteria is on the foreign petitioner, would-be applicants should consult an experienced attorney when self-petitioning. This is to ensure that the proper documentation and evidence is provided to establish and meet the requisite standards. Nonetheless, it is important to keep in mind that waivers are determined by the officer who adjudicates the case and it is ultimately up to their discretion whether they grant the requested waiver on a case by case basis.